Wednesday, September 12, 2007

Rugby Mountain Day

I have new spikes. New-ish, at the very least. I got them at the very tail end of my last spring season, and that was only like...four months ago. As it turns out though, they suck. the spikes are really loose, I tighten them every practice, but by the end they're coming out. Today when i got to the field i discovered that yesterday, unbeknownst to me, I had lost a spike. i searched my bag, but it wasn't there, and I can only guess that it fell out during practice, so I'll never see it again. It really wasn't a great way to start practice, and I was very out of sorts as we did our laps and dynamic stretches. My mood only got worse when the four captains all showed up in street clothes and announced that they were injured. Leigh was in a sling, it was very distressing, especially with our first game on Saturday. They gathered us together and were giving this little speech, when Leigh's face broke into a grin, she flung off the sling and announced that instead of practice we were having a social. We all immediately piled into cars and drove to the captains' house, and had a party! I have school stuff tonight, so like a big dork I couldn't drink, but it was still fun. We sang rugby songs! I was telling CWB today that I never feel really happy here, like, I'm happy, but it's never, whoa I'm HAPPY. The social was really fun though. I was actually HAPPY to be there, and HAPPY to be on the team with these girls. Clearly, rugby is the best sport ever. I have to go to a study group now, but there's just something about a surprise team celebration that makes me want to work now. I'm all motivated and really glad to be here.

3 comments:

Greg said...

Top football boots here can run at over AU$300, so I can imagine why you'd be upset to find yours don't hold the spikes.

Andrea said...

So where's the schedule?

TCA said...

Golf Shoes spikes are the same kind of rip-off. They wear out very quickly and fall out if not tightened every time they are worn.
Tennis shoes, on the other hand...

But I say Hurray for your captains! They are Captains because they know how to rally a TEAM.

WJA can hardly wait for Thanksgiving so he can hear a rugby song.