Sunday, November 9, 2008

Unfairness

A second year student at Geneseo was hit by a truck last week. They think she was out for a run, and it's been speculated that she probably had headphones on and didn't hear the truck coming up from behind her. She was in the hospital, but rumors fly all over on a college campus, and so it wasn't clear if she was ok, or not. As it turns out, she wasn't; she died today. The president of the school sent out an email about it earlier this afternoon. I didn't know her, she was a communicative disorders and sciences major, but he wrote a little bit about her in the email. She was on the varsity soccer team, and she was really smart, she made the President's List last spring. It's such a waste. It's been on my mind all afternoon. I feel sort of guilty, and I've been trying to study and be productive because she was smart and made good grades, and she got hit by the truck while she was running, something I should do more often. It makes me reevaluate the way I spend my time. I have three papers due in the next couple of weeks, and I've been putting them off, but I started one today. Even if I didn't know her, I still feel like I need to be better now.

2 comments:

Andrea said...

Well said. Sometimes it takes a tragedy to wake us up and realize things that we may take for granted. I feel very sorry for that girl's family and so very grateful that all three of you are well and safe.

TCA said...

I think you have come up with a tribute to this young woman that would make her very proud.

We all need to know that we live on to continue work that others start. It's part of the whole continuum ass faith teaches.

Nevertheless, I hope you know that you should run FACING traffic so no truck can come up behind you. AND you ride a bike WITH traffic because you are operating a vehicle.