Monday, February 11, 2008

Grapenuts

One time last summer in New Hampshire we were all sitting around at Camp Dodge, waiting for dinner. We couldn't cook our meal until the camp people had eaten, and we were all starving. All we had to eat was a box of grapenuts, and we were surrounded by people eating...I don't remember what the protein was, but they had corn on the cob and strawberry shortcake, and we were jealous. Passing around the box of cereal, Brailey suggested that we try to look sad, so that someone would see and offer us some of their food. It didn't work, we crunched away until it was our turn, but it was a funny idea. We had food, it wasn't like we were poor little match girls, but at the time it seemed wrong that people would see us eating plain, dry, grapenuts and not offer some of their extra. Mum took me to Wegmans yesterday before dropping me at school, and I bought a box of grapenuts. The box weighs about thirty pounds, so I'm set for life, but it's something I had been wanting. It isn't a delicious sort of cereal, but I like it. It confirms my status as an outdoorsy person. Whether I'll eat grapenuts and not chex mix remains to be seen, but it's a nice idea. It looks good too, to people coming into my room. They'll see the giant box and go "Wow, clearly this girl is outdoorsy and has strong teeth."

2 comments:

Emily said...

I hate to break it to you but I don't think Grape Nuts automatically convey "outdoorsy" to the general population. Strong teeth, though, yes.

Greg said...

Euell Gibbons liked Grapenuts(tm); they reminded him of the taste of wild hickory nuts, as I recall he'd say with great relish on the advertisements. He was outdoorsy.